Sunday, September 22, 2013

How can I keep from singing?

Today, I'm still sick. Still on meds. Found out that my principal is leaving in a week. She's had a lot of personal trials lately...but our scores were so low I wouldn't be surprised if it was a forced out.

Today's Sunday lesson was on keeping the Sabbath day holy. I had the girls share their favorite thing they like to do on Sunday. I remembered my blue treasure box I made for the children. I remembered the Sabbath Day jar I made for the children. I remembered the scripture story videos, sitting on the couch and round robin telling what we learned in church and then round robin choosing our favorite church hymn or song to sing. I remembered the no bake chocolate cookies David would make...Fast Sunday's movie and popcorn.

But what I loved most about Sunday traditions started when I was a child. I would sit on the couch with the album cover of a Tabernacle Choir record and sing with the choir. I knew all the words. I knew all the parts. I loved the songs. When I got to be a mother, I had a binder of EFY type songs that we women would sing in parts around the piano. I also remember everyone going to choir practice and singing in the choir. As I have become an empty-nester, I've gone back to my childhood tradition where I play the Tabernacle Choir CD, but now I have ordered the actual written music that I sit on the couch and sing with the CD. I passed out some music today and we sang with the CD in my class. I loved it.

My next to last choir practice was today. My last performance number is quite apropos, "How Can I Keep From Singing" (a freebee download from Sally Deford.) I have so many people coming to choir to sing it. It is going to be beautiful. How can I keep from singing?

1 comment:

texansusan said...

It will be tough for you to leave that ward after so long! I don't remember the Sabbath jar, maybe the treasure box but don't know what it was, and I don't remember the fast Sunday movies and popcorn, but that's a great idea! I do remember singing around the piano though. :)

Name Holder

 In the dream, I was a teenager (somehow) teaching or a part of the class of teenagers. Anyway, I was up front, and they looked to me for di...